When it’s cold outside there is nothing like walking in the door to the smell of a warm pot of soup simmering in the kitchen. And if you are time-starved, watching your piggy bank and trying to stay on track with your goals soup is such an easy way to eat well on a budget. As you continue on the Makeover 101 Challenge I want to share my Tex-Mex Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe with you. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out!
Coach Ward’s Tex-Mex Tortilla Soup
2 tsp Olive Oil
3 cloves garlic, minced (more if it’s flu season!)
3 Scallions (Green Onions) thinly sliced
2 Medium Tomatoes diced (or 1 can diced tomatoes)
1 Carton Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
1 cup frozen corn kernals
1 cup black beans (rinsed)
½ tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1 Chicken Breast (Organic, Free Range, or Antibiotic & Hormone Free) cut into small pieces
1/3 cup fresh Cilantro leaves chopped
3 tbs Fresh Lime Juice
Sea Salt & Fresh ground pepper to taste
Plain Organic Yogurt, for garnish
1 cup baked tortilla chips crumbled, for garnish
Shredded Low Fat Cheddar or Jack Cheese (1tbs per serving)
- In a large sauce pan heat oil and sauté the garlic scallions until the garlic colors and the scallions are clear.
- Add fresh-diced tomatoes and sauté until tender (or Add canned diced tomatoes).
- Add broth, corn, black beans and spices.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Coat a separate skillet with cooking spray and sauté the chicken breast pieces. Continue to cut into very small pieces.
- Add the chicken to the sauce pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Just before serving add in the cilantro and lime juice.
- Sparingly sprinkle sea salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately in bowls and garnish with a dollop of plain fat free yogurt and a sprinkle of shredded cheese and tortilla chips.