His assignment was to plan a meal including all the USDA Pyramid food groups (fruits, vegetables, grains, proteins, dairy and oils), shop for it, prepare it then determine if there was a difference in cost with eating the meal at home compared to eating it at a restaurant.
Now that’s the kind of homework I like – it covered fractions, chemistry, economics, reading, writing and nutrition. Got to slap the teacher a high-five for this one.
Not only was it a treat to get a break from cooking as and an added bonus we saw our little man, who generously opens up his parent’s wallets while keeping his under lock and key in the vault, gain a new appreciation for why we try to eat most of our meals at home. The size of the eyes when the computation showed a $30 savings presuming that baby brother would get to eat free was priceless.
He made up his own French Toast recipe. It was so good we had to share it:
Lil C’s French Toast
8 slices of Sprouted Whole Wheat Bread
1 large egg
1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (or milk of choice)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/8 tsp Cloves
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Powdered Vanilla (optional)
Melted Ghee (optional)
Syrup: 1/8 cup Brown Rice Syrup, 1/8 cup Maple Syrup, 1/4 cup hot water
- Combine egg, milk, spices and extract in a bowl and blend well
- Spray a griddle/skillet with cooking oil and warm on low heat
- Dip bread in egg mixture and immediately put in pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes then flip over to cook opposite side until crispy
- Drizzle with 1/4 tsp of melted ghee and Garnish with powdered vanilla
- Dip in the special syrup mix