By now you have probably heard that stress affects your health. Stress can give you an upset stomach, headache, weakened immune system, insomnia, even high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. It causes our bodies to release Cortisol which lands right around our guts. What’s more, when we are stressed we tend to over eat high calorie foods for comfort when we are not really hungry. And you know where that ends up…a moment on the lips…
So stress reduction is on the checklist of things to do for the healthier lifestyle. But adults are not the only ones that may battle stress.
Our two year old son, who we adopted about six months ago experienced a great deal of stress and trauma pre-birth and as an infant. Our therapist explained that he easily goes into a state of fight and flight because his world was always changing. When he is stressed he screams, cries and wants food. So we have to help him learn that we will take care of him forever, there is no more change and he does not have to fend for himself nor does he need food for comfort. He just has to trust us.
Funny how this has given us a new perspective of what God must go through trying to help us realize that His intent is for us to be stress free. He is the affordable health care solution to our stress reduction. So here are five simple steps you can take to be stress free forever:
1. Cast – Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
2. Trust – Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6
3. Take – Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Matthew 1:28-30
4. Choose – “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:41-42
5. Be Thankful – Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
The control freak in me finds this so hard to do – to let go and let God. But I am going after it as one of my lifetime lifestyle goals. No need to go to God if I am going to stress out right?! Join me and see how minimizing stress will promote your goals for a healthier you.