It’s here! The day of the feast where we do a lot of “just this once” holiday eating. But the healthy lifestyle coach in me has to let you in on everything so you can make an informed splurge.
So just what can you afford to eat today? Here are some common menu items and their calorie content…Hopefully after checking this out you will be inspired to get up and move before and after your feast to keep the budget balanced. I’ve got some ideas for that below too 🙂
- Roasted Turkey – 6 oz mixed meat, untrimmed: 350 calories
- 1 cup stuffing: 340 calories
- ½ cup gravy: 150 calories
- 1 cup mashed potatoes: 240 calories
- 1 cup macaroni & cheese: 259-563 calories (depending
- on cheese and milk/cream used)
- 1 Cup Collard Greens w/ Smoked Turkey: 57 calories
- 1 cup Okra & Stewed Tomatoes: 88 calories
- ¾ cup Candied Yams 365 calories
- ½ cup green bean casserole: 148-225 calories
- (depending on if you us a reduced fat mushroom soup)
- ½ Cup Black Eyed Peas: 90 calories
- ½ cup cranberry sauce: 210 calories
- 1 roll with butter: 120 calories
- 1 piece corn bread: 188 calories
- 1/8 slice pumpkin pie: 180 calories
- 1/8 slice pecan pie: 500 calories
- 1/8 slice cheesecake: 372
- 1/8 slice apple pie: 41
Here are a few calorie deficit ideas to get you Moving for the morning, commercial breaks and/or the evening to Balance your Thanksgiving Feast Budget:
- During half-time of the football game(s), head outside with friends and family for a football game of your own.
- Work in a commercial time-out workout. Try a set of wall sits, crunches, squats, lunges or push ups at every break.
- Take a walk in the morning after breakfast and after the feast to enjoy the fall foliage or holiday home decorations. If it’s cold where you are wear fewer layers and you may burn more calories as you body tries to keep warm.
- Put on your dancing shoes and groove to a dance or Zumba DVD or wii or X-box just dance game.
- Purposely park a good distance away from your Black Friday sale destination so you can take the extra steps and you will also avoid the stress of finding a spot. Do some laps around the mall and make sure you skip the escalator and elevator and do the stairs instead.
Have a Happy Healthy Thanksgiving!